So I am apparently one according to my psychiatrist. When she was explaining to me her justification for the diagnosis things started to link together, giving me a sort of closure I guess and naming something I have “suffered” with for many years. Although, I do agree with her diagnosis there are indicators in Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) that I don’t fit into, which apparently puts me on a different end of the ASPD spectrum. Here I had a closer look at some of the signs:
Signs of antisocial personality disorder
A person with antisocial personality disorder may:
- exploit, manipulate or violate the rights of others
- I have never violated the rights of other individuals.
- lack concern, regret or remorse about other people’s distress
- I have been guilty of lacking concern for others problems and still do to this day.
- behave irresponsibly and show disregard for normal social behaviour
- I could give you lots of examples here.
- have difficulty sustaining long-term relationships
- Yep. Although one relationship latest 12 years.
- be unable to control their anger
- I don’t have any anger issues.
- lack guilt, or not learn from their mistakes
- I don’t lack guilt but I also don’t learn from my mistakes.
- blame others for problems in their lives
- Yes I have thought like this for many years.
- repeatedly break the law
- Unfortunately yes.
A person with antisocial personality disorder will have a history of conduct disorder during childhood, such as truancy (not going to school), delinquency (for example, committing crimes or substance misuse), and other disruptive and aggressive behaviours.
So I guess I am a sociopath. I just have to now change my mindset if I feel any of the above indicators creeping in.
2020 New Me! New Mindset!